Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Sadie with the cows

This morning I took Sadie with me to milk the cows. After about an hour she started to get tired of watching me. She asked if she could go pet a cow she could see laying in the free stall barn. My first thought was that she might go out and get them all stirred up, not good. Then I remembered that when she brings them off the pasture with me, they seem to take notice but nothing more. For those that don't know, cows get spooked and stressed very easily. I decided to let her go to the cow warning her to move slow and not scare the cows.

Sadie returned after a few minutes smiling and laughing and telling me she rode a cow. I find it hard to believe, but go along. She askes if she can go ride again. I let her go and decide to sneak a peak when, as she's leaving I see that her back side really is dusty like you get riding bareback. Sure enough, she is running and singing "Old McDonald had a farm" and goes right in the barn and sits on a cow!

It just amazes me every time I see this behavior. If you walked in my barnyard and swung your arms without even making a noise, these cows would run for the hills. But Sadie runs, sings at the top of her voice, and sits on them and they don't mind at all. If you look real close you can just see the nose of another cow walking in the barn looking at Sadie. It's like they know that she is not the same as us.

Another thing that happened in the barn with Sadie today.....We have a cow that for some reason is a devil to milk. She kicks like nothing I've ever seen before, down right crazy. I finally get the milker on and here comes Sadie. She starts petting that cow and telling her "it's okay cow" and the cow doesn't mind at all. If we just touch the cow she slams her leg at us!

So all in all, Sadie had a great day milking cows with me. I had fun watching her enjoy the cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment