Thursday, June 7, 2012

A new system

Even though my husband is afraid of any change in his life, he tried something new today. I have been putting up pasture with lots of lanes designed in for moving cows and heifers. Today when I asked him to grab the trailer and help me move bred heifers, he suggested we try my lane system!

We sorted out the older girls that should be calving in 3 to 4 months and walked them down the lane and into the dry cow lot. It went perfect, no big stress for them or us. Now they can get used to being moved in and out of pasture, give them a chance to befriend a cow or two, and help me keep a close eye on when they are ready to deliver.

I think my nutritionist would say it is healthier for the cow and calf. That matters to me as much as her happiness. I'm sure the two go hand in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment