Monday, October 18, 2010

Seed Update.

I did more research.  Oddly enough I discovered that conventional corn will NOT cost me twice as much as altered corn.  I also learned that the yield should be exactly the same, NOT 1/4 the yield.  If that is the case, I guess it also means I will NOT lose money for 25 years.

About 8 years ago rBST (a milk producing hormone) was introduced to the dairy industry.  I can remember salesmen coming to the farm and explaining to my father in law that without it we would not be competitive.  They told him he was the only farmer in the county that was not using their hormone.  Looking back I realize that those were all lies as well.  I know of at least 2 dairy farmers in our own neighborhood who never used rBST.  Now it is illegal to use it at all in Michigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment