Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Planted

I have worked like a borrowed mule on this farm for 18 years.  It finally earned me the right to run the planter.  It may not seem like that big a deal to some, but it is on this farm.  First of all, my husband and father in law don't let anyone else plant their fields.  In fact, my husband has not done much planting, mostly Papa, my father in law, does all the planting.  Plus, as I was planting, I was trying to think of the women I know that get to help their husbands plant.  I came up with one, our late neighbor, Janet Noon.  And how ironic that her husband stopped by today.  I shared my thoughts with him about his late wife, and told him how excited I was to plant.  He said his wife was a great helper.  I hope my husband will feel the same.

So I set out to spend about 4 hours planting a 20 acre field for our milk cows.  I am happy to say the girls will have lots of grass to eat in the spring.  Anyways, I didn't quite get done before dinner because I ran out of seed.  That turned into quite the ordeal.  We had to gather seed from a gravity wagon into the loader bucket, then dump that into the gravity wagon with the auger.  From there we could haul it out to my field and load it in the planter.  Then it was time to eat, so we took a break for dinner.

After dinner I got right to work on my pasture, but before I was done, my father in law had an idea.  He figured I might as well finish the seed in the heifer lot.  That meant loading more seed again and planting another 20 acres.  So my four hour project ran ten hours of my day.  Okay, minus the hour it took us to eat and clear the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment