Monday, May 16, 2011

While time was flying by....

I have been crazy busy the past few weeks, and I am so glad to see that end!  What have I been doing?

  Well, my in-laws are a big part of our life and last year I was really busy with Janet, my mother in law, and this year it has been Lauren, my father in law.  I have had many doctor appointments getting him prepped to be on dialysis.  I set up in home health care to make everyones life easier.  Those girls keep the house clean, cook meals, make sure meds are taken, and do some of the running.  I am really an advocate for long term health care insurance right now.  It took 2 months for my inlaws to completely recoup all 15 years of premiums they had paid in.  I am so glad they paid that insurance.  Taking care of your elderly is very time consuming and expensive.

I also took in two 20 year olds.  They arte fairly high maintenance creatures ( I am refering to the age in general).  They are both great kids. 

Daniel is an Amish kid I have known for 10 years or so.  I am very close to his parents and brothers, that makes letting him live here tricky.  They want him back, and I don't want any part of keeping him away, but it seems he is going to stay English (thier term for all us non-Amish) for awhile at least.  Like all religious groups, his church is experiencing bumpy roads right now.  I have helped him get a job and get his drivers lisence.  I would like to say that you should all teach young people about driving before they are adults!  He is doing good, but wow is that scarey stuff.

Then their is Jeana, another kid I have known forever.  I have brought her here after some bad choices were made and she needed to get herself back on track.  Words of encouragement can be the best thing you ever do for a young person.  Telling a kid what they are not good at, or what they might fail at is just so damaging to them.  Bear in mind, I am known to be tough on kids, but it can be done without draging them through the mud.  You set rules, let it be known that you don't flex, and tell them you know they can do it, and most the time they will.

Along with these 2 success stories, I should mention, for those who don't know me, that this is not my first rodeo.  I have always had some extra kid living with us.  Some have really prospered and done great things, some have stumbled away with tucked tails, but all of them still call me and know that no matter where they land in life, I will always have love for them.  I know for some of them, just having an adult to call for encouragement is what they need.

As soon as I had Lauren and the kids lifes' on track, my husband put me to work in the fields!  We got over 240 acres of corn planted in 8 days.  That is really kicking it out with our little 6 row planter.  And just in the nick of time, the rain showed up for the next 4 days.

So now I am home getting my house back in order and hoping for warm weather.  It would be great to see a few days of sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment