Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Great Milk

Wow, I am just pumped about the farm.  We just got our latest milk quality test in the mail and it looks great!Our Somatic Cell Count is down at 130,000, our bacteria is only 2,000, and our P.I. is only 3,000.  When you consider the limits on those are 400,000, 50,000, and 50,000 you can see that we are well below that. 

My role in this is that I am willing to pay for the sand to keep those stalls clean, and pay for high quality minerals to keep the girls healthy. 

The biggest thing I do to get these test numbers is pay my employees the bonus I get for great milk.  It really makes some of them put forth a lot of effort.  I do say "some".  Some employees still think showing up is all it takes to be valuable.  At one time, that did mean a lot on this farm, but we have such a good crew now, it takes more than showing up to shine like a star here.  I think it might be time to also hand out some pay raises to those I see really trying hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment