Friday, November 26, 2010

It's been a long time!

I am finally able to sit down and add a bit to my blog.  I have done so much this month.  The kitchen is most of the way done.  The floors still need to be finnished, there is some painting to be done yet, and I still have a couple pieces of furniture to purchase.  It was just crazy of me to even start this project before Thanksgiving, but we got it together enough to have 25 people over for dinner.  I really have to thank both my handymen.  They worked hard, long hours to help me out.


It was all fine until the cieling was ready to be prepped and painted.  That meant haulling all my stuff out of the kitchen and dining rooms.  I have far to many things.  Then Mike made sure my ceiling was perfect.  That means he put drywall mud up, then sanded it off, put more mud up, then sanded again.  I think he repeated the process about 4 or 5 times, much to my dismay!  I kept telling him I would be fine with a rolly-polly ceiling, just to paint, he didn't listen.  I must admit, I am so glad he ignored my pleading, it looks super.  Even with the plastic up over the doors, dust went to every inch of the house!  Amanda did her best to keep up with the shop vac.

Once we reached a point of cleaning again, I was much easier to live with.  My ceiling is one to be proud of.  Some of my favorite comments so far are that "my kitchen makes my house look older", and that "my kitchen looks so big now".


This is my perfect baking area.  All my baking needs are tucked away in my Hoosier, my mixer is between my flour and my sink, mixing bowls are in plain view, the cookbook has a stand that holds my page, and the Hoosier has a pull out work top that is a perfect level for kneading dough.


Beyond the sink is extra working space and my stove.  Our everyday eating dishes and glasses are again in plain view.  Pots and pans are the same, right where you can find them without stooping over and digging in some dark cupboard.  To the left of the stove you can see my knives on their hand magnetic holder.  Below that you will soon see a butcher block.  The kids are enjoying a cup of hot coco out of my working space, yet still in the room with me.  Notice the shiny, copper colored ceiling?  My family thought I would hate it, but I love it.  I will admit that my designer girl friend did hers first or I might have been too timid to try it.



Across from my great baking area is the refrigerator and a cabinet.  The cabinet is home to the things I don't need to access much like cookbooks, water pitchers, and to-go coffee mugs.



1 comment:

  1. Hey look! My hubby is famous! His picture is on a blog!

    I hope he never has to do another ceiling here at home. Even reading about yours was painful. Ugh.

    But it is probably very smooth and free of tiny cracks and imperfections (something he tells me I should be more appreciative of).

    Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete