Friday, November 11, 2011

So NOT ready!!!!

I am just not ready for the snow.  Oh, I love the snow, it gives the landscape such a fresh clean look and makes me feel like baking yummy stuff, but I am not ready.  I have moved our calves out of little confinements stalls and their water is delivered by garden hose.   That is not a good mix with freezing temperatures.  I have got to get a move on, quick.

I did however get my older heifers set up with nice new shelters and a long stretch of feed space. I had a pad poured so they don't have to stand in the mud to eat. I added a fence line feeder that will allow all the girls to eat at the same time without over crowding. Nobody wants to be the one shoved from their dinner plate.



I have put together a nice design for a covered holding pen for my lovely milking girls.  I love the planning, it's so much cheaper than the doing.  I hope it can get done next summer.  It would provide the girls with shelter from the hot sun, rain, and this wet snow.  And as an added bonus, it would provide the same for me and my employees.

The kinda down side to my plan is that it involves an old barn that I want to restore into a nice cow share building.  That means I have to do them both at once, increasing that always inhibiting cost!  But I have a really cute idea for my cow share milk house.  Again, the planning is fun and cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment