Sunday, November 6, 2011

Better milk law fails!

Europe is pushing for higher standards for our milk.  That ever so safe pasteurized crud you get at the store couldn't pass the test so the new law was shot down!!  How does that make you, the consumer feel?

Here's an explanation.  When they pick up my milk they take a small sample to the lab and test it for P.I.C., Bacteria, and somatic cell count.  Somatic cell count is related to environment cleanliness, cows stress level, and her health.

Right now every farm must remain below 600,000 parts somatic cell per million in the milk.  Europe changed theirs to 400,000 and says they want us, as an exporter to set the same standard.  It appears that that new standard would put so many farmers out of business (of all sizes) that the law did not pass.

First, trust me, I have been meeting that challenge for as long as the cows have been mine.  For one thing, I have good employees who benefit financially to take good care of my milk and cows.  I drink it straight from the tank myself.

Next, ask yourself if you would rather drink healthy, clean raw milk, or nasty manure filled milk that has been cooked to make it safe?  It's just like meat, why not handle it properly in the first place instead of cooking the flavor and bacteria out of it later?

One last question, why didn't you, the consumer get a say in this?  Oh, that's right, our government knows better than you what you should want to consume.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Now you can't really be suggesting that our political leaders would do anything that wasn't in our best interests are you? And are you implying that we should have a right to eat and drink what we want?? How radical!
    I like your humor.

    ReplyDelete