Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ready for the Wheat!

We have our second cutting of hay done and are ready to start harvesting wheat.  We have some wheat that is our own old harvested seed.  We also have some newer seed.  I am anxious to see which seed produces the best yield.   I bet ours will win.

For about a month now I have been putting our cows out on their make shift pasture at night.  I go out at 4 every morning and drive them back up to the feed bunk.  At first I was thinking about how early 4 am really is.  Now I just really enjoy the early start on the day along with this chance to talk to my girls as I gently push them back up to the barn.  They are such creatures of habit, as soon as they hear my truck leave my drive a few start drifting to the gate.  Most just lay there and look at me as I head to the back of the pasture.  As I work my way back to the barn, there is hardly a cow in front of me, they all know the drill and are gone to the barn.

Hank update:  Hank has decided to share our home.  I turned him free a couple weeks ago and he has never left.  Even a beagle can spot a good life when he sees one.  Hank now knows that he is welcome in the house, but no marking his territory, it's all mine in here.  He also knows that I feed critters at 6 am.  So Hank has earned his appointment to have his heart checked and all his shots updated.  He will also come home shy a couple parts.  Good luck Hanky Panky!

No comments:

Post a Comment