Sunday, February 3, 2013

An update on Lauren and Janet

I know that family reads this blog, so I would like to update you all on how Lauren and Janet are doing.

Lauren has been on dialysis for quite some time now, I think about 2 years. He is doing pretty good, but he had some hard times recently. Two months ago he became so weak that he couldn't even cary on a conversation. This happened to him back in the summer, but that time it only lasted a day. This time it lasted for a couple weeks or more. We were concerned that he might not recover at all.

Thanks to the great care he got at Faith Haven, he did recover pretty good. He is still in a wheelchair because his legs remain weak, but at least his mind is back in order.  He can walk with the assistance of his walker for about 50 feet. He also likes to show off how good he can climb in any truck hauling him to good food!

Because of all this, Lauren decided to join Janet at Spring Arbor Assisted Living. He needs a bit more care than Duane and I can offer while running a farm. It was discussed that he should have 24 hour a day care.

Janet is doing great! She is glad to have her husband with her in her apartment. Granted, she is still of the mind set that she would rather go home. I certainly don't begrudge her that, but with that, she is happy to have her life companion with her again.

It's funny to see how two people who have bickered, loved, and who knows what, for 61 years can suddenly remind you of high school sweet hearts all over again. I love to see the twinkle in Lauren's eye when Janet makes plans to go home and take care of him. He still see's her as that girl he saw back in high school as he once told me "the prettiest girl he ever saw". I only hope that Duane looks at me like that when I am nearly 80 years old.

I'm sure even though I am also hard on Duane at times, I will want to take care of him in return for all the hard hours he has worked to take care of me and our children, just like his dad.

Their marriage hasn't always been a fairy tail, but it has lasted much longer than many. That says a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment