Thursday, January 24, 2013

High quality milk

I just want to let people know how happy we are with our milk quality.

One day Duane gave me a magazine article to read. It was about 5 producers who regularly keep the SCC below 50,000. That is basically the cow wellness measurement in their milk. Of course he was shocked when I bought the CMT (California mastitis test) and the micro fiber wipes the following week. I tell him all the time, why read about it if you aren't going to do it? I printed and laminated a milk procedure for all of us milking our cows to follow. Low and behold, our milk started getting better.

Right now we are producing milk as good as I think it can get. Our SCC is down to a month average of 70,000. Our bacteria is 1,000, and our P.I. is at 2,000.

Things we did that I think matter:

implementing the milk house routine,

repairing the free stall barn,

keeping lots of clean sand in the stalls when the girls aren't on pasture,

and hiring a good hoof trimmer that comes on a regular basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment