Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shingles


I took my mother-in-law to the doctors again today. We went in Monday for a rash and discovered she has shingles running the length of her right arm. This is my first experience with shingles. I have learned that it is a chicken pock virus that causes blistering, and is quite painful because it messes with your nerve endings. My mother-in-law, Janet is 77 years old and has slight dementia. She told me during our ride that she dreams a lot. In the morning she has no idea if she is remembering a fact or a dream. When she asked me about a story she remembered involving a relative I had to laugh- I know the story, but she's the one that told me. We still don't know if it's fact or dream! Then this evening I had to settle an argument between her and my lovely father-in-law about what the doctor said about her medication. The sad thing is, they were both completely wrong about everything. I feel sorry for them, but even worse for older people without family to take care of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment