Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Expand or Perfect?

 After taking over the farm I have been asked multiple times if I plan to expand. No, I don’t foresee myself milking more cows; I am focused on perfecting what we have. I am getting it there too! We are running underground water lines, moving calves outside, and fixing barns.

If I were to do something really different on this farm, besides selling cow shares and putting the cows on pasture, it would be selling a product. I think I would be interested in making yogurt, or bottling milk. No, I did not say pasteurizing it.

For now we are very busy getting the farm the way we want it: cows on pasture and everything running smoothly. Record keeping has been a big upgrade here and I am getting it there. I can finally say when a cow’s birthing date is and I am always within a couple days, knowing that will improve the health of the cow and her calf.


No comments:

Post a Comment