Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Another big step in the right direction!

I spent yesterday in the classroom learning how to do A.I. (artificial insemination-breeding) on my cows.  This is so exciting for me.  It means the bull can go, which is safer for me and my employees.  It also means that I will get to cross Jersey, Swedish Reds,and other breeds into my herd, giving us a much higher butter fat milk for making butter, whip cream, and other yummy stuff. 

You know it will be a proud day when I can post a picture of my first cross heifer that is a result of my handy work.  For now we have the long wait, it will be another year before that calf ever arrives.  Then we wait for her to mature into a milk cow.  This farming seems to have a lot of waiting involved.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Cindy. That is some pretty wild stuff. I am definitely impressed.

    ReplyDelete